In the event that the 48- and 16-part versions are not enough to satisfy the need for pandemic alternatives to the traditional 68-team NCAA tournament field, we present the first monthly update of a potential 80-part support.
Here’s a reminder of the basics:
– All congress champions – regular season and tournament – qualify for the extended field.
– Instead of the previous four games, there will be 16 open round games in four regions. These matches would have been played on the field of the seed (no fans).
– Teams that win both the regular season and the conference tournament – the double qualifiers, if you like – get a bye. They will be part of a group of 48 teams that will be at the heart of the tournament.
Ship live college basketball games at conferences around the country, including the Big 12, The American, C-USA, A-10, Ivy League and many more. Get University Basketball on ESPN+
– The number of large teams, which this year has been set at 37 as a result of the elimination of the Ivy League, varies from 32 to 48, depending on the number of double qualifications (the typical number of teams in this category is 12 to 16).
– Reduced trips will be considered as open pairs when they can be made without unduly affecting the competitive balance.
– Existing principles for the avoidance of intra-conference links are maintained.
These links will be completed by the time the games are played on the 28th. December update (current probable double qualifications are shown in ALL CAPITALS, with a bonus; current flights for betting in are shown in bold):
(1) GONZAGA v. (20) ST. BEDRAG MARY’S
(8) Virginia Tech/(15) Boise State vs. (9) Indiana/(14) Alabama
(5) OREGON vs. (16) WRIGHT STATE
(4) Texas Tech vs. (17) GEORGIA STATE
(6) Clemson vs. (11) USC/(12) Seton Hall
(3) Illinois vs. (18) CHAPTER
(7) Xavier vs. (10) NC State/(13) Maryland
(2) Texas vs. (19) COLGATE
(1) Baylor v. (20) State of NORFOLK(8) Arkansas/(14) Providence v. (9) Purdue/(13) Ole Miss(5) San Diego State v. (16) FURMAN(4) Rutgers v. (17) TOLEDO
(6) Virginia vs. (11) Richmond/(12) BYU
(3) Iowa vs. (18) Abilene Christian
(7) Duke vs. (10) Standby/(12) SMU
(2) TENNESSEE vs. (19) UTA
(1) VILLANOVA vs. (20) TEXAS SUD(8) St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador St. Louis/(13) Pennsylvania vs. (9) UCLA/(12) Drake(5) FLORIDA STATE vs. (16) WINTHROP(4) Michigan vs. (17) NEW MEXICO STATE
(6) Michigan State vs. (15) West Virginia vs. (18) BELMONT(7) Louisville/(14) Arizona State vs. (10) MSU/(11) Drake(2) Houston vs. (19) OK IRVIA
FOGGY ALL AREA
(1) KANSAS v. (20) CAPRICORN(8) Florida/(15) Davidson v. (9) Minnesota/(14) Arizona(5) Ohio State v. (16) LOYOLA CHICAGO(4) Missouri v. (17) FREEDAY
(6) North Carolina vs. (11) North Carolina/(12) Oklahoma
(3) Creighton vs. (18) South Dakota State
(7) Colorado vs. (10) Syracuse/(13) Yukon
(2) Wisconsin vs. (19) PETER STATE
THE LAST FOUR BYES
THE LAST FOUR OF
FIRST FOUR OF
THE FOLLOWING FOUR OF
Big Ten (13)
Big 12 (7)
Big East (6)
Atlantic 10 (3)
West Coast (3)
Mountain West (2)