Colgate Palmolive Company is one of the largest consumer goods and personal care products manufacturing companies. Colgate Palmolive conducts a standard drug test for all its Colgate employees. This policy came in response to its social responsibility and the increasing pressure from the government to test employees. It also came as an effort to lower health care costs in the long run.
Drug testing is a big issue in the United States, whether in the workplace or among people in general. While many people oppose drug testing, most of the population supports it and thinks it is necessary to reduce the number of drugs being dealt with or bought.
Moreover, the Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy protects the company and its shareholders while meeting particular government and health care requirements. Let’s learn more about the Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy.
Table of Contents:
- Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy
- When Is An Employee Subject To Drug Testing Per Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy?
- Colgate Palmolive Conducts What Kind Of Tests?
- Are Prescription Drugs And Over-The-Counter Medications Included In The Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy?
Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy
The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy is a positive step that the company is taking toward preventing and investigating illegal drug use in its workplace. The policy consists of specific actions that will be taken and how they will be conducted to help prevent and investigate illegal substance use by employees.
The policy states, “All employees and applicants for employment are required to submit to and cooperate in all procedures outlined in the guidelines required by federal or state law.”
Besides, the policy also states that the company reserves the right to extra tests if they are deemed necessary. The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy applies to all employees, including full-time, part-time and seasonal workers.
The policy aims to ensure that employees are productive, efficient, and healthy. The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy also sets up a procedure for confidentiality, which is necessary to prevent employee discrimination. Colgate Palmolive Drug testing policy consists of the following:
- All employees must be aware of the drug testing policies before starting to work. Colgate Palmolive must maintain a written copy of the policy for each employee and applicant for employment. Colgate Palmolive can decide to test an employee or applicant for employment at any time, not only during the initial hiring process. But, before conducting testing, Colgate Palmolive must give the employee or applicant a written notice of when and how the employer will conduct drug testing.
- Each employee and applicant for employment must provide a urine sample for drug testing at a time and place specified by the company. The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy states that the company will not tolerate any employee or applicant who makes a false statement or give incorrect information about their use of drugs. An employee can be held accountable for his actions under the law if caught using drugs during work hours.
- A certified lab must conduct all drugs testing following state and federal regulations.
- Colgate Palmolive has the right to take disciplinary action against employees or applicants who refuse to submit to drug testing. The company can also terminate an employee who fails to complete drug testing.
- Colgate Palmolive will not disclose any information obtained during drug testing to anyone without the consent of the employee or applicant.
Furthermore, Colgate Palmolive maintains a safe, healthy and productive work environment, for all Colgate people and others, by:
- Cooperating with the U.S. Drug-Free Workplace Alliance and other organizations dedicated to maintaining a safe workplace through drug-free initiatives.
- Ensuring employees are aware of the company’s drug-free policies and that such policies are implemented and adhered to in a consistent, fair, firm and respectful manner at all levels throughout the organization.
- Prohibiting the distribution of illegal drugs and alcohol at all times in an area where employees work, whether on-site or off-site.
- Review the company’s drug-free policies to ensure effectiveness whenever circumstances require a review.
- Cooperating with federal, state, local and other enforcement agencies by reporting incidents involving illegal drugs, use of alcohol or misuse of prescription drugs and complying with any investigation into such incidents.
When Is An Employee Subject To Drug Testing Per Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy?
The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy states that all Colgate employees and applicants for employment must be tested for illegal drug use without any discretion at any time during the workday. Employees might be drug testing during the various phases while working with Colgate Palmolive:
1. Pre-employment drug testing:
During the pre-employment phase, Colgate Palmolive’s drug testing policy requires all employees to submit to a test if they decide to be hired by the company. The company will conduct such drug testing at any time at its discretion and location as it sees fit.
The pre-employment drug testing is a deciding factor in whether Colgate Palmolive will hire an employee. In case of a failed pre-employment test, the employee might not be offered employment by Colgate Palmolive.
2. Reasonable suspicion drug testing:
The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy also allows for reasonable suspicion drug testing in the workplace. The company must have a reasonable suspicion that an employee is using drugs to test him/her for illegal substance use. Moreover, the following constitute reasonable suspicion:
- Observable signs of alcohol or drug use; such as tinted or bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, stumbling gait or difficulty walking, erratic behavior and impaired work performance;
- Fellow employees’ reports of suspected illegal drug use;
- Evidence of on-duty impairment related to the use of drugs or alcohol
3. Random drug testing:
Colgate Palmolive also conducts random drug tests. The drug testing policy states that employees might be subject to random testing on a set schedule during the year. Employees working in a safety-sensitive position, as well as employees working in jobs that require a higher level of trust and responsibility, must be tested more often than other employees.
Suppose an employee fails or refuses to submit a drug test as required by the company’s drug testing policy. In that case, they may be subject to disciplinary action, including termination of employment.
Colgate Palmolive Conducts What Kind Of Tests?
The Colgate Palmolive (consumer Products Company) drug testing policy states that all employees or applicants who want to work must submit to the following:
- Urine Drug test: The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy requires all employees or applicants who want to work to submit a urine drug test. The U.S. Drug-Free Workplace Alliance requires a urine drug test for all employees covered by the Alliance’s guidelines.
Thus, the company may need the employee or applicant to take a urine drug test under such circumstances.
- Hair Drug Test: Another test that Colgate Palmolive may conduct is the hair drug test. An employee might be subject to hair drug test besides a urine drug test. Also, the hair drug test is performed more often than a urine test.
At Colgate Palmolive, the company’s drug testing policy states that the company may conduct a hair drug test that analyzes for the presence of drugs at any time during employment or in the past.
Are Prescription Drugs And Over-The-Counter Medications Included In The Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy?
The Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy states that the employee must bring all prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications and military drugs to the attention of the company’s human resources office before the employee consumes them.
According to the Colgate Palmolive drug testing policy, the company may test an employee or applicant for illegal drugs even if they have a prescription.
Yet, the company may yield any disciplinary action if satisfied that the prescription drugs have been recommended and frequently used. Besides, the employer must do the following before the employee starts using over-the-counter medications, prescription drugs or military drugs:
- Notify the company’s human resources office of the employee’s intent to take such drugs.
- Ensure that the employee fills out any paperwork that deals with prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications, such as a medical history questionnaire.
- Ensure all employees follow the company’s drug testing policy about over-the-counter, prescription, and military drugs.
The company’s drug testing policy helps Colgate Palmolive keep a safe and secure workplace that encourages the best work performance possible. By having this drug testing policy, Colgate Palmolive helps ensure that employees remain productive and alert while working.
Also, the company’s drug testing policy helps employees understand their roles and responsibilities in maintaining a safe and secure workplace. Thus, job seekers should always be aware of any company’s drug testing policy before starting work with Colgate Palmolive.
Is Marijuana Legal As Per The Colgate Palmolive Drug Testing Policy?
No, marijuana isn’t legal at Colgate Palmolive. The Colgate-Palmolive drug testing policy states that any use of illegal drugs is prohibited in any way or form on the job. Furthermore, the company’s drug testing policy is based on federal laws and may differ from state laws.
Can An Employee Ask For A Re-Test After Failing A Drug Test?
Yes, an employee can ask for a re-test if they failed the drug test. Employees may appeal to the company’s HR department if they fail a drug test. Also, the employee can request a re-test up to 60 days after failing a drug test. Yet, it’s up to the company to decide whether the employee gets a re-test.