LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – The man accused of vandalizing Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame twice in 28 days in October 2016 is expected to be charged with vandalism on Monday.
James Lambert Otis, 57, previously pleaded not guilty to vandalism for using a sledgehammer and hoe to damage the Trump Star.
January 2017. Otis was sentenced to three years probation and 20 days of community service and was ordered to pay $4,400 in damages.
In the latest case filed this week, he is charged with vandalism involving damage or destruction of property in the amount of $400 or more in connection with the October arrests.
LAPD says Otis was killed on the second. October used a pick to destroy the former president’s star – the damage is estimated at more than $3,000 by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce – and that he had October come to the Hollywood branch of the LAPD on October 5 after investigators contacted his publicity team.
He was released on bail, then at 30. October was re-arrested and released on bail, according to jail records.
Otis told reporters after a hearing last November: When I thought about it after my arrest, I said I was proud that Mr. Trump’s star had been destroyed, and I felt very good about it. But I realize now that I was wrong, that I shouldn’t have done it.
He continued: Upon reflection, I realized that nonviolence is one way to fight Mr. Protest Trump. It was a mistake to vandalize that star and I apologize for that, and I hope no one else tarnishes or damages the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Around 5:45. The 26th. In October, Otis, dressed in work clothes, hammered on Trump’s name with a sledgehammer and axe, and the star logo was awarded in the television category – for Trump’s work in The Apprentice.
Otis has already said he plans to remove the entire star from the 6800 block of Hollywood Boulevard, auction it off in New York and give the money to women who claim to have been touched or sexually assaulted by Trump, who has denied allegations of abusing women.
But Otis said he could not accomplish the feat, so he removed the brass medallion from the star after breaking it with a sledgehammer and pickaxe.
It was very difficult. The rock was like marble – hard to pierce, Otis said some time after the Trump star was damaged. That would have taken an hour.
When asked about the prospect of being arrested, he said: I’m not afraid of prison, and I’m certainly not afraid of Mr. Right. What punishment will I get?
Otis is one of two men being prosecuted for trashing Trump’s star.
In November 2018, Austin Mikel Clay argued that there was no basis to challenge vandalism for breaking a star with a pick in July 2018.
He was sentenced to 20 days’ community service, three years’ probation and damages in excess of $9,400. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and Psychological Counseling.
After the 2018 vandalism, the president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which manages the Walk of Fame, urged potential vandals to go to the polls if they wanted to make a political statement.
(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All rights reserved. City News Service contributed to this report).